23 September 2013

Money Matters Monday {9.23.13}

mondaymattersmondays[1]
It's Monday again and as promised, I am going to show you the project that I was working on last weekend.  You know, the one that took me longer than I thought it would?

So, the goal of Money Matters Monday is to show you that you can do tons of fun stuff with the digital graphics you purchase (or have stored in your computer!).  Not only can you create amazing scrapbook pages that will showcase photos and memories, and cards for every single occasion, you can create fun hybrid projects, too!  You can make fun things to decorate your home with (check out this post), to remind your kiddos how much they are loved (here), and for amazingly thrifty gift giving (look at these)...  and today, I've made something that is useful and creative!  You can even give these as personalized gifts...  (Christmas will be here before you know it!)
These little things are floating around Pinterest like crazy, and I thought I'd take a swing at it.  Here's what I'm talking about...
1
What are they??  They are bottle caps that I am turning into fun, personalized, unique thumb tacks and magnets!

Here's the supplies... Casting resin ($9.99 - filled 20 beer caps), Magnets (10 feet for $2.99), and Thumb tacks (100 for $1.99) - I got everything at Hobby Lobby (by using my 40% off coupon, the resin was just over $6.00!) and I had all the other supplies I needed here at home.  As a side note...  my husband used to brew his own beer, so we had lots of new caps, but you can buy these at most liquor stores.
10
You'll also need scissors (or a one inch punch) and Mod Podge. 

I first made some photographs and digital graphics into one inch circles (I used PSE11).  To do this, open a new 8.5x11 inch blank file.  By going to View>Grid, you can easily be sure you have a one inch circle.  Open a photograph file and pull it into your blank document.  Make it smaller by clicking on one of the corners and dragging.  There are several ways to get a one inch circle at this point, but I simply used the circle cookie cutter tool and using the grid as a guideline, cut the picture into a circle.  I did this for twelve images.  I saved it (as a jpeg) and printed it on white cardstock.  Here's what mine looked like:
1-incherswborder
Now, at this point, it sure would have made my life a lot easier if I had a one inch craft punch, but I did not.  So...  I cut them all out.
After you have them cut out, paint a layer of Mod Podge on the inside of the bottle cap, as well as the back of your picture or graphic image.  (I did not do this the first time I did these...  and when I added the resin, the paper soaked up some of the resin and distorted the image...  so don't skip this!)  Stick the photo into the bottle cap and add a layer of Mod Podge to the top of the image.  Let it dry completely (patience...) and add a second coat and let it dry completely (more patience...)
4

3

2
Once it's all dry, you'll want to mix up the casting resin.  Follow the instructions exactly.  Once you pour it into the caps, it takes 18-24 hours before it's completely dry (which is why my planning for last weeks post went a little awry!)
9
Finally, use a strong bonding glue (I chose to use Close To My Heart's Liquid Glass) and glue on the thumb tacks and magnets.
7

6

5
and...  you're done!  They look really neat (the pictures don't really do it justice!)...  and I can't wait to experiment more with keychains and necklace pendants!
11
I used photos and graphics from The {Perfect} Season and {Magical} Memories Graphics Packs.  I also made a couple scripture reminders...  

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jeremiah 29:11 

...and I'll leave you with that!  Hope you have a fabulous Monday! 
Many Blessings!

No comments: